The Ventura, operated by P and O Cruises , was involved in a Man-Overboard alert in the early hours of this morning, Sunday 10th October.
The ship, together with the RNLI and local coastguard seached for several hours following reports of a missing male passenger.
The P&O ship, which can carry up to 3,200 passengers, retraced its route across the area to assist in the search.
The track of the ship showing the search area….
The ship was scheduled to dock in Southampton at 7am but continued searching for the missing passenger until it was released by the local coastguard. Ventura finally docked at 12.30pm.
The search continued but current reports suggest the passenger has not yet been found.
A Coastguard spokeswoman said: “We have a lifeboat from Yarmouth searching along with a Coastguard helicopter and we are still broadcasting to all shipping to look out for anything in the water.”
A P and O Cruises spokesman said: “Following reports of a missing person earlier this morning, Ventura conducted a full search of the area off the coast of the Isle of Wight. As a result of this search, which has now been handed over to the Coastguard as is usual in these instances, Ventura’s scheduled arrival into Southampton this morning is delayed.”
The Ventura cruise scheduled to depart at 5pm today has been delayed until this evening.
Further news updates can be found on the P and O Cruises website.
Update: 17.00 : After 12 hours of searching for the missing passenger the Coastguard and RNLI have called off the search but have asked shipping to keep a look out. Exact details of what led up to the incident are yet to emerge. Source: BBC News.